Date:      Mon, 23 Jan 2012 17:04:43 -0000
From:      "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable on large disk number machines

We did a minor kernel update on a large storage machine here today which runs FreeBSD 8.2 and to our surprise it failed to boot at
the loader with "ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable".

After some digging we discovered that this was likely due to the fact that the BIOS only enumerates the first 12 disks and this
machine has more than that in the root zpool which was a striped raidz2 volume. This in turn means that the bootcode can't
complete and hence the machine can't boot.

Our solution was to migrate the root fs off the raidz2 volume and to a mirrored volume which was on two disks which where
accessible from the BIOS.

It would of course be nice if zfs warned or even prevented this, any thoughts?

More info available if we find it here:-
http://blog.multiplay.co.uk/2012/01/zfs-io-error-all-block-copies-unavailable-on-large-disk-number-machines/

    Regards
    Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster@multiplay.co.uk.