Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 00:37:08 -0500
From:      Steve Cahill <nonymous@concentric.net>
To:        Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com>, "aic7xxx FreeBSD.ORG" <AIC7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        niessene@natlab.research.philips.com
Subject:   (update) Re: 2.2.X+scsi+ide=timeout mystery

first sent this to you/aic7xxx on 1/24/00 :-)
I was hoping someone would have a similar problem, but never saw a
similar posting.

I finally broke down and bought a new EIDE (UDMA) disk a-la-COMPUSA
(really it is a MAXTOR 15GB UDMA33/66 for a measley $99.95 :-)

Well this fixed the kernel timeouts that I was getting with the Western
Digital 6.4GB UDMA drives I had (both 26400 & 36400).

Conclusions:
=========

    1) This was not a Motherboard BIOS problem specific to the PA-2013
    2) Very unlikely a kernel or driver problem although it was not
exhibited in the 2.0.3X kernels
    3) Not a problem specific to just any generic UDMA EIDE hard drive
when mixed with my scsi (this is what I feared most!)
    4) Most likely it is attributable to the BIOS on the WD hard drive
itself causing a BUS (or communication) problem with the
         IDE controller and/or Adaptec SCSI BIOS

Anyway, I am happy that I can use this new drive with a little more
space than I had before and with the newer kernels.

Thanks for your help and your advise.

Regards,
--Steve Cahill

Steve Cahill wrote:

> [...]
> not an IDE expert....
>

>> Steve Cahill wrote:
>> >
>> > Well Folks,
>> >
>> > This one is a real mystery.....
>> >
>> > I cannot believe that my setup is unique, but hey... stranger
>> things can
>> > happen I suppose. I have an Adaptec AHA-2940U2W with several
>> devices ( see
>> > 2.0.38 dmesg out below), and an IDE primary drive where my boot
>> record lives
>> > with a (bootable) DOS partition as well as some other Linux
>> partitions:
>> >
>> > hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 < hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 >
>> > hda: WDC AC26400B, 6149MB w/512kB Cache, CHS=784/255/63
>> >
>> > My main (mother) board is an FIC PA-2013 with a 350MHz AMD K6-2
>> > CPU, Millenium G200 video adapter, 128MB (PC100) SDRAM, sound card
>> and modem
>> > reside in the 2 ISA slots and a 3COM 3c905B Cyclone ethernet card
>> in one of
>> > the PCI slots.
>> > (aka very typical setup??)
>> >
>> > When booting any Linux 2.2.X kernel with this IDE drive present I
>> get a
>> > timeout message (which I have posted before, but will include here
>> for
>> > completeness):
>> >
>> > scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 60, scsi0, channel 0,
>> id 1, lun
>> > 0 0x28 00 00 70 c2 ce 00 00 02 00
>> >
>> > The timeout can last anywhere from 25 to 40 seconds.  Another
>> symptom is
>> > LILO will hang (i.e. executing lilo) or take a very long time to
>> execute.
>> >
>> > When I boot any of the 2.2.X kernels without this drive present
>> the timeout
>> > disappears. In fact when I boot with this drive present in any of
>> the newer
>> > 2.0.3X kernels which support this adapter there is NO timeout and
>> lilo
>> > behaves normally!
>> >
>> > So why don't I just shutup and just use the 2.0.38 kernel? Well I
>> do, but
>> > I would like to have some of the newer 2.2.X kernel features not
>> present in
>> > the 2.0.3X kernels.
>> >
>> > If anyone has a similiar hardware setup (at the very least has the
>> 2940U2W)
>> > that mixes both scsi and ide in the 2.2.X kernels and get no
>> timeouts or
>> > lilo troubles, please let me know. I have discussed this at length
>> with Doug
>> > Ledford and I am sure he would be interested in knowing also. It
>> is possible
>> > that there is something in my BIOS (and/or BIOS settings) that the
>> 2.0.3X
>> > kernels (as well as WINDOZE :) overlooks or doesn't care about.
>>
>> --
>>
>>  Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com>
>> http://people.redhat.com/dledford
>>       Please check my web site for aic7xxx updates/answers before

I first sent this to you/aic7xxx on 1/24/00 :-)
similar posting.
(really it is a MAXTOR 15GB UDMA33/66 for a measley $99.95 :-)
Digital 6.4GB UDMA drives I had (both 26400 &amp;&nbsp;36400).
to the PA-2013
it was not exhibited in the 2.0.3X kernels
EIDE hard drive when mixed with my scsi (this is what I feared most!)
the WD hard drive itself causing a BUS (or communication) problem with
the
and/or Adaptec SCSI BIOS
more space than I had before and with the newer kernels.
</i>for the most recent driver and it did not cure&nbsp; the problem?
We had a machine in here in the test lab with the same problem.&nbsp; After
went
But, I'm
can
( see