Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 16:51:49 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: updating rdist

In message <20001112131741.A65293@dragon.nuxi.com>, "David O'Brien"
writes:
> On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 06:46:01PM -0800, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Gro
> up wrote:
> > If you want to use something truly modern:  Use rsync.
>
> I'd love to, but I've decided it is a POS.  I constantly hangs for me
> (and has for serval rsync releases now) when I try to copy an Alpha
> release to ftp.freebsd.org (or any other FreeBSD box).  I guess I should
> spend the time to put tons of printf()s in the code as "-vvvvv" hasn't
> given my anything to go on.

Various versions of rsync have had hang problems.  2.4.6 doesn't appear
to have any hang problems.

All of my recent (since this spring) rsync hangs have been related to
IP Filter's RCMD proxy.  For some reason, at around FreeBSD 4.1 and IPF
3.4.6 I was experiencing more rsync hangs, about the same time that rcp
& krcp, and tar | rsh tar would hang.  Switching to ssh (kind of a
waste because of the encryption over an encrypted channel because I use
IPSec between home and my desktop system at work) solved the problem
because I no longer needed IPF's RCMD proxy.

If you use a statefull firewall between rsync peers, try opening the
firewall between the two nodes.

> > why not install rsync instead.  It's eaiser to use and doesn't require
> > a distfile.  That's why I think rdist is bloat.
>
> It doesn't anymore. :-)
> rdist6's rdist -P <transport-path> -DFn -c name ...  [login@]host[:dest]
> works very well.

This is cool!

I also use rsync to synchronise data between a SCSI disk and a SCSI Zip
drive on the same machine.  It beats copying files by hand or some
other means which  would copy everything.  I suppose one could rdist to
localhost to obtain the same effect.

Hopefully your rsync problems will be as easy to solve as mine were.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC