Date:      Fri, 09 Jul 1999 11:16:59 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: matcd on an SB16

Mark Newton wrote:

> One of them has an SB16 with a CD-ROM drive.  His attempts at installing
> FreeBSD from that CD-ROM have met with abysmal failure:
>
>  $ Next came an install on my Pentium 60 (previously running Caldera-2.2)
>  $ -  A total disaster.... no way despite 12 attempts to install, could I
>  $ get FreeBSD to actually initialise the sbpcd (freebsd calls it matcdc)
>  $ despite changing IO's, entering the manual configuration option etc
>  $ etc... it would not & could not, find the cdrom & so I had to abort the
>  $ install every time!!
>
> Is the matcd driver known to work on FreeBSD 3.2 ?  If not, does anyone
> have any estimate of the amount of effort that'd be required to fix it?

Sorry, I have no help to offer, but I vaguely remember writing something
recently about support of bizarre hardware devices in Linux vs. FreeBSD.
An IDE CD-ROM is completely beyond his reach?  Send me his address, I'll
go buy one of the cheapo USDrive 24x models they're selling around here
for $24 and mail it to him.  It will, of course, cost him AU$40 to receive
it.  ;^(

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com