Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 1996 23:23:36 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        babkin@hq.icb.chel.su, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, erich@lodgenet.com
Subject:   Re: DOS emulation (was Re: Networking in PCEMU (1/2))

As Michael Smith wrote:

> Trust me; you can run real-mode '286 code on a V20/V30.  I have done
> this.  I _believe_ that the Hedley emulator is up to this.

No, it doesn't emulate 80186 instructions.

I've also been thinking about implementing this, but i'm afraid i'll
simply ran out of time.

I've already posted this to the freebsd-ports list, but got no
response: i would like to pass over the maintenance of the `pcemu'
port to somebody else who can dedicate more time to it.  I've still
got some patches for EMS support sitting in the queue, there's Serge's
networking patch, there are lots of ideas around (including some of my
own like enabling access to physical floppy drives and tty/COM lines).
I feel that i will never get round to do all of this, even though i
still think the Hedley emulator is technically a too fine piece of
software to see it falling down some day... too bad that the original
author has no longer any time or interest in pursuing it further.

So if anybody is willing to take over the maintenance of this port,
get back to me.

--
cheers, J"org