Date:      Thu, 06 Dec 2001 16:37:33 -0800
From:      Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
To:        Mike D <d01f1n@yahoo.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cable modem connection problem

Mike D wrote:

> going out. I haven't checked for either packet drops / RTT increase (how?)
> but when I say slow, I mean for eaxmple to get www.google.com up takes 5-10
> minutes. Also other machines on the LAN can not really get out at all.

If you ping/traceroute, do you see losses (and where)? If you look at
"netstat -s" output, do you see retransmissions?

> Somebody mentioned on this list that deleting the arp table entry of the
> default router of the cable modem provider (as a cron job) solved the
> problem.

Does this work for you, too?

> Could this have something to do with leases being renewed (by the isp dhcp
> server and consequently the cable modem) and FreeBSD not updating routing
> tables? (I'm guessing big time here - not an expert by any means)

If your cable modem provides IP, it's probably not involved in the DHCP
negotiations. Does your IP address change before you start to see this
slowdown?

Lars
--
Lars Eggert <larse@isi.edu>               Information Sciences Institute