Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 17:52:20 EST
From:      "M.C Wong" <mcwong@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How to make boot floppy ?

Hi,

This is a real simple question for most of you guys out there.

I have installed FreeBSD on /dev/wd2 and /dev/wd0 is fully occupied
with another OS. I can get the GENERIC kernel to boot off /dev/wd2
by playing with CMOS setting. But as soon as it tries to mount /
onto /dev/wd0a (default) it panics as expected.

I think I can make a bootable floppy which let me boot and use
mfs as / and mount /dev/wd2a and copy a new kernel with /dev/wd2a
configured as root partition onto /dev/wd2a, right ?

But I can't quite find how to create a boot disk in the first place
for that purpose. Also, half way through the process after booting
up with this floppy, I would have to feed in another floppy with
the new kernel which I will copy to /dev/wd2a. I believe with the
new boot disk of mount / onto mfs is OK for me to swap floppy ?

How can I do that ? Any instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.