Date:      Sun, 08 Mar 1998 03:21:52 +0100
From:      Tor Egge <Tor.Egge@idi.ntnu.no>
To:        jhs@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, me@FreeBSD.ORG, gj@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   scsi defects monitoring

> As this was the 2nd set of bad sectors with the S65A, I took it back to the
> dealer (wasted time, Koenig in Munich Not reccomended !), I'd now like
> to research deeper, & list both tables of bad sectors & see how full they are,
> how many tracks dedicated to free sectors etc, & monitor the count regularly,
> on both discs, & if there's a systematic failure mode on both discs,
> to ignore the hostile Wintel oriented dealer, & report failure direct to
> someone at www.storage.ibm.com, if these discs are exhibing some batch
> oriented bad sector growth symptoms.
>
> I read
> 	man [0-9] scsi
> 	/usr/share/misc/scsi_modes
> 	/usr/include/scsi.h
> & happen to have a Seagate SCSI booklet, but it's heavy going,
> & a few more example commands would help both `man scsi` & me.

Take a look at scsi-defects.pl. It can extract both the primary and
grown defect list from the disk. You find it in the
/usr/src/tools/tools/scsi-defects directory.

You should be aware of the bug discussed in PR#5846 if you are running
3.0-CURRENT and attempts to use this program.

Last week, after having been forced to low level format the system
disk on the machine which acts as cvsup.no.freebsd.org, I've started
using that program from cron to monitor the growth of the grown defect
lists on the attached disks.

- Tor Egge