Date:      Sun, 3 Oct 1999 23:18:03 -0400
From:      "Troy Settle" <st@i-plus.net>
To:        "Rashid N. Achilov" <shelton@sentry.granch.ru>, <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: One password base for some *NIX boxes

The easiest answer, is NIS.  But, NIS isn't exactly secure.

I'd reccomend that you select one box to be your master server, then use ssh
and some perl to generate and distribute appropriate passwd and shadow files
to the other servers.

IMO, FreeBSD would be the best choice for a master passwd server, as it
keeps all it's information in one file (/etc/master.passwd).  IIRC, solaris
keeps different information in passwd and shadow.  I don't know about linux.

When implementing this, you'll need to educate your users so they'll know to
change their passwords on the master server only (you can simplify this by
setting up a passwd util on a web page).

Also note that you'll need to install the DES encryption libraries for
FreeBSD in order to achive the inter-operability you desire.

HTH,

Troy