Date:      Sat, 12 Jul 1997 22:11:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        filo@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-SCSI@FreeBSD.ORG, dg@root.com
Subject:   Re: problems with reboot

Hi David Filo;  On 13-Jul-97 you wrote:

> umount(2) does wait correctly.  The problem in this case was that the
> DPT driver was timing out the "ALLOW MEDIA REMOVAL" command sent to
> the controller before it had a chance to finish flushing its cache.
> The problem went away when I removed "options DPT_HANDLE_TIMEOUTS"
> from the kernel config.  The result of this was that the "ALLOW MEDIA
> REMOVAL" command was allowed to complete, umount waited around, and
> everything shutdown cleanly.

Ah...  Work from incomplete dataset and you are asured bad results...
This is probably why it ``does not happen here'' (hate that expresion).

> If this explanation is correct, the DPT driver should be changed to
> not timeout the "ALLOW MEDIA REMOVAL" when the DPT_HANDLE_TIMEOUTS
> option is being used.

What should be done is disable DPT_HANDLE_TIMEOUTS as a default.
The DPT firmware knows how to timeout better than you and me.
This is what we pay for :-)  The DPT_HANDLE_TIMEOUTS option is there
only to allow broken hardware to install, so that testing can be
conducted.

I had a report form a user who loaded the card to a max, pressed the
reset button only to find corrupt filesystemsupon reboot.  You simply
CANNOT do that with a standard DPT configuration.  We are building a
non-stop FreeBSD based transaction processor here.  To acomplish this
level of reliability, you need to: Disable the DPT from resetting
when the CPU resets, setup all the caches as write-through (including
those on the disk drives), and assure an N+1 power to the CPU.

In a stand-alone PC environment, you will get a very high degree of
reliability if you simply have a descent UPS protecting the AC to your
computer and stay away from the reset button.

Simon