Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 1999 17:05:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Reclaiming irqs for unsupported PCI hardware?

My Dell Insperion 3500 laptop has two PCI devices that are
unsupported by FreeBSD. One is the USB controller, the other
is the PCI instance of the audio hardware (oddly, the "compatability
ISA" instance of the audio hardware is compatable with OSS, when
treated as a generic CS4232, but it has a separate IRQ).

My laptop is basically out of IRQs. Windows seems to manage this
by bridging PCI devices together on a single IRQ.

I would just as soon ask FreeBSD to just ignore the two devices in
question and allow the IRQs to be reused. One of them has "no driver
assigned", and the other shows up as chip4, but they still end up
occupying IRQs 10 and 11. Prime real estate, I would say.

While I am writing, why is it necessary for the PCCARD controller
to use an IRQ? It only generates them at slot events, which happen,
what, every few _hours_ or so? Can't they be polled? IRQs are
precious in modern x86 machines (unfortunately).