Date:      Sat, 02 Jan 1999 19:46:06 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEVFS, the time has come...

In message <199901020805.BAA19906@pluto.plutotech.com>, "Justin T. Gibbs" writes:
>> One of the major proponents of a persistent DEVFS was Justin, last
>> time we've been talking about it.  It seems Justin's opinion is now
>> also to put all this out to userland, into something like a devfsd.
>
> I've always felt that much of the machinery of a persistent DEVFS
> should reside in userland, but that we'd be hard pressed to properly
> support a dynamic and secure system without persistence.

Justin, would you mind clairfying that last concern ?

(This is what this thread is about, not about implementation details,
which there are NO reason to haggle about at this time, so please stop
wasting our time.  This is about persistence or non-persistence, not
about how chroot /devs get mounted or with which options.)

[I feel that it is difficult to get a 'handle' on which problems there
are with persistence or lack thereof without having reasonably clear
ideas of how it will be implemented, so I'm letting some messages on
this through.  However, try to keep your comments closely related to
the issue of whether persistence in and of itself is required.  -EE]

"ttyv0" -- What UNIX calls a $20K state-of-the-art, 3D, hi-res color terminal