Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 00:31:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        David Talkington <dtalk@prairienet.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: free b.s.d. and networks

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, David Talkington wrote:
> George Reid wrote:
> >On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 Trikers3@aol.com wrote:
> >>     I need to know the answers to some questions for a presentation I
must do on several operating systems.

> >Try reading the website - www.freebsd.org
>
> [treading lightly] Ok, not to contest your point, but ... it occurs to
> me, having seen several innocent inquisitors bitten this way, that
> many people may assume that "questions@freebsd.org" leads to a
> vendor's help desk.  Given that assumption, and not knowing anything
> about FreeBSD, or about open source software and the nature of its
> community, let alone the fact that email to that address was being
> broadcast to that community, an unsuspecting newcomer might come away

	Yes I agree.  I find it really strange that the freebsd-questions
address is listed all over the website with most places not even mentioning
that it is a public mailing list.  I used to get frustrated that people
would send SO many subscribe messages and such to Freebsd-questions, but
what can be expected if there is no mention of etiquette or method of
subscribing in 95% of the times the freebsd-questions list is mentioned?
It doesn't even mention how to subscribe at
http://www.freebsd.org/support.html#mailing-list
In fact, most of the places it is mentioned it says email any questions to
freebsd-questions.   The way it is stated in many places seems like it is
the project's question list, not a public mailing list that everybody
gets.  If you hadn't noticed this check back through the webpages and
you'll see it.
	I would have just sent this to freebsd-doc  but I wanted to see if
there was some agreement before doing so.  I think three things would
make an improvement.  1.  There should at least be a mention of etiquette
near any mention of sending questions and  2.  More prominent placement of
the instructions for subscribing and  3.  Say that it is a public mailing
list.
	Even though there will always be people that will not read
instructions, right now you can't fault anybody because the instructions
for subscribing and etiquette are hard to find even if you are looking
for them.  I think this would increase the quality of the list a bit.  I
mean there are at least 50 subscribe messages sent each week it seems.
Thanks for reading,
						Tim