Date:      Sun, 15 Jun 1997 09:06:20 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        "<Ajith Asela Pasqual.>" <pasqual@hal.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD upgrade from 2.2.1 CD

> Hi! Nadav,
>
>  First of all, I'm terribly sorry for this very late reply. I was completely
> immersed in an unexpected job and didn't have anytime to upgrade till this
> Monday.
>
>  Finally, I did the upgrade using 'make world' :
> - removed the entire /usr/src directory
> - copied the /usr/src from CD 2.
> - make world
> - recompiled the kernel to suit my needs
> - installed compat_21
>
>  and nearly everything was OK.
>
> I did get some ld.so error messages libgnumalloc not found.  It was there in
> /usr/libexec/compat (from memory I'm not really sure). I copied this to
> /usr/lib and all problems went away.

ld.so is a bit buggy in 2.2.1. If you've taken the make world route, you
could have just as well upgraded to STABLE, or at least 2.2.2.

> Also I pkg_deleted (including Window manager fvwm) several programs and
> reinstalled them from 2.2 CD.
>
> Sofar everything is OK. xdm works fine.
>
> Thank you very much for all your advice and for the prompt reply. I really
> appreciate it.
>
> BTW, I'm yet to update my /etc directory (from 2.1.7). Still it has not
> given me any troubles though. Is it absolutely necessary to copy the
> /usr/src/etc to /etc ? I could not understand the purpose of Makefile and what
> it does in that dir. Any pointers in this direction is much appreciated as I
> like to learn something new.

Yeah, well, doing a make install in this directory should install all
that's needed into /etc. Simply copying it won't do it because files
will end up with the wrong permissions. /etc has changed quite a bit
since 2.1.7, and has undergone even greater changes in the transition to
2.2.2. Procede with caution, and have a handy backup of the old files!

> Best Regards,
> Ajith.
> Ajith Pasqual - Hatori-Aizawa Lab., Dept of Info. & Comm. Eng., Univ. of Tokyo.
> Email:pasqual@hal.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp (WWW)http://www.hal.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~pasqual/
Nadav