Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 2014 22:54:45 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   WARNING: devel/icu: recent update redners openldap-server and other ports unusable!

--Sig_/jpJDmLo2yQA3tE6n7EutECa

Today a couple of updates has been introduced, one of them was an
update of port devel/icu.

I the good manner/tradition of updating UPDATING, I expect a
warning/hint/advice a couple of days from now - when everybody has
already stepped into the mess.

On several boxes running 11.0-CURRENT and 9.2-STABLE, updating ports
including devel/icu renders many ports unusable due to a library
version bump in libicu.

After updating ports relying on devel/icu via

portmaster -r devel/icu

and the updating of port

net/openldap24-server

(which is openldap-sasl-server in my case), OpenLDAP doesn't start
anymore on all boxes affected by the update of devel/icu!

I always get the error

52f5551f hdb_db_init: Initializing HDB database
52f5551f olcDbDirectory: value #0: invalid path: Permission denied
52f5551f config error processing olcDatabase=3D{1}hdb,cn=3Dconfig:
olcDbDirectory: value #0: invalid path: Permission denied 52f5551f
send_ldap_result: conn=3D-1 op=3D0 p=3D0 52f5551f slapd destroy: freeing
system resources. 52f5551f syncinfo_free: rid=3D001
52f5551f slapd stopped.
52f5551f connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/slapd: WARNING: failed to start slapd

This obscure=20

olcDbDirectory: value #0: invalid path: Permission denied

is not obvious to me. The server ran minutes ago BEFORE the update, the
directories containing the DB5 databases have all the correct ownership
(ldap:ldap, I suspected first a misconfiguration as this error seems
typical for a misconfiguration of the ownership).

Does anyone see the same problem? And maybe please would put out some
notes in UPDATING within a considerable narrow timeframe regarding
devel/icu! It seems, FreeBSD's ports systems get more and more messy.

oh