Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:29:15 -0500
From:      stan <stanb@panix.com>
To:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: imap question

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 08:02:22PM -0500, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> On 02/23/04 07:38 PM, stan sat at the `puter and typed:
> > I'm trying to help a firend of mine get an imap server running on one of
> > his FreeBSD 4.9 STABLE machines.
> >
> > We have built the UW imapd port, and installed it. However we seem to be
> > habing a bit of a problem making it work.
> >
> > Tha man page, and the docs (which I only found in the ports work directory
> > for some reason, don't they get installed somewhere?) All seem to agree,
> > that it shoud "juts work" However in our case it does not :-(
> >
> > Cruently we are gettin error messages like this in /var/log/mailog:
> >
> > maillog.0:Feb 22 19:40:26 ops2 imapd[59881]: Unable to load certificate
> > from /usr/local/certs/imapd.pem, host=router.XXX.net [192.168.2.1]
> >
> > As you can see, this box is located on a DMZ, behin an OpenBSD firweall
> > (running pf). WE have that box redirecting port 993 to teh FreeBSD box
> > running imap.
> >
> > What am I missing here?
>
> You can't really accept secure connections without an SSL certificate.
> Check the docs to find the details, but you probably want the OpenSSL
> docs as well to tell you how to create an SSL key and PEM cert.  The
> path provided in the error message tells you where the cert is
> expected to be.  Chances are that if you check the imapd.conf you'll
> also see where the key should be placed.

Sorry I wasn't clear here.

The _is_ a certificate there. Created (I assume by the port build process).
However it seesm that since the packes are being redirected _from_ th
router (OpenBSD) box, imapd wan'ts the certificate to be _for_ the router
box.

Any ideas how to fix this?

> Unless you have it configured to block or simply not accept regular
> IMAP connections, you might be able to connect on port 143, if you
> just redirect that port.  Only problem is your connection won't be
> secure.

And the passwords will be passed in the clear, right?

Might as well use POP, correct?

Thanks for the help.

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin