Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 07:58:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gordon Tetlow <gordont@bluemtn.net>
To:        "David O'Brien -Hackers" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: import NetBSD rc system

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001, David O'Brien -Hackers wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 06:04:23PM -0700, Gordon Tetlow wrote:
> > Anyway, here's my status:
> > rcorder ported (one line code change)
>
> I have already sent a patch to a NetBSD contact, so this one is done.
> I'll hook `rcorder' up in sbin/Makefile once NetBSD either accepts the
> patch or rejects it and I know if I need to pull the files off the vendor
> branch or not.

I'll submit the patches I have for this that make it work in both FreeBSD
and NetBSD. BTW, why do we use libutil.h and they use util.h?

> > /etc/rc ported
> > /etc/rc.shutdown ported
>
> These are problematic as I could not just vendor import them as we
> already have files of these names.  Can you make these two available for
> discussion some where?

I like Matt's idea (I think it was Matt) to have a new_rc switch. I'll
look at adding the code for it and submitting a patch, it'll be kinda
dicey this week since I'm on vacation and I'm not sure how much I'll be
online (I'm sitting in the Albany airport atm =) Also, next week is my
last week at my current job before switching jobs (at least I'm not
moving). So it'll be kinda hectic.

> > /etc/rc.subr ported
>
> What changes were needed here?

I basically added a function called checkwildno() that is similar to
checkyesno that returns 1 for NO (plus variants) or '' and returns 0 for
anything else.  This gets rid of alot of case statements in the modules,
making them simple if's.

-gordon