Date:      Sat, 12 Jul 1997 17:55:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Kent Boortz <kent@erlang.ericsson.se>
Cc:        yu132719@yorku.ca, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printer support

On Fri, 11 Jul 1997, Kent Boortz wrote:

> > I am planning to buy a pesonal laser printer and I would like to know
> > which printers are supported under FreeBSD since I would also like to
> > install FreeBSD on my home computer. I have narrowed my choices to the
> > following printers;
>
> Unfortunately printer support isn't "built in" in the way it is
> on platforms like Windows or Macintosh. It is up to the individual
> applications to produce something that could be sent directly to
> the printer. So enabling resolution enhancement is either done from
>
> 	The application, if it has an option (not likely)
> 	You printer filter if you have one and it supports it
> 	(you may have to write your own)
> 	A program that send the control sequences to the
> 	printer (you may have to write it)
> 	Your printers control panel (low cost printer has none)
>
> > HP 6L
> > Okidata 600e or 610e
> > Raven (Panasonic) Ls6
> >
> > I am especially concerned if I can access the 'full potential' of the
> > printer under FreeBSD (i.e. dpi and print speed). For instance, in the
> > HP 6L the printer makes use of HP's Resolution Enhancement technology
> > (REt) and enhanced PCL 5. But can these features work under FreeBSD?
>
> Note that some programs, like Netscape, produce PostScript output
> suitable for PostScript printers only. You can configure and install a
> printer spooling system that run a PostScript to PCL translation but
> this will take some CPU and time.

apsfilter (a really good program) makes a printer emulate PostScript,
i.e., you can print a postscript (.ps) file to it.  My impression is
that in this process it does not utilize the built-in fonts of the
(HP Laserjet) printer, but is printing in a sort of "graphics" mode.

> I would spend some more $$ to get a PostScript model + some extra
> memory to enable resolution enhancement. But setting this up,
> especially enabling the resolution enhancement, isn't a trivial
> task (but not that hard, I have done it).
>
> But I haven't met someone that uses a Unix system with a PCL printer
> and I haven't yet seen an Unix application with a PCL printer option.
> There must be, persons as well as applications, so I'm maybe not the
> right person to answer ;-) Just my personal opinion,
>
> /kgb

Well, I use FreeBSD with PCL printers.  If the file is a plain text
file I use an awk script that resets the printer, tells it to treat
unix line endings as carriage return-line feeds, selects a built-in
font, and sets the left margin.  This script is called from a shell
script.

The real problem, it seems to me, is this:  Suppose you want to write
a simple document--a memo or letter--and you want to be able to
underline the title of a book, for example, or put something in bold,
or use a larger type size for a heading.  A text editor won't do that
for you, regardless of printing filters installed.

Perhaps the choices are:

	-- learn troff
	-- learn (and install) TeX/LaTeX
	-- install (if you have lots of space) the staroffice port,
which (I think) produces postscript (and runs under X-Windows) (MS
Office workalike, more or less)
	-- mark your document up with html and print it from Netscape
	-- learn to code postscript directly (really hard)
	-- use a text editor and put the PCL codes directly in the
document (this is what I do)
	-- boot Windows, use built-in programs, Word, or whatever
	-- take the SO out to dinner....

That's what it seems to look like to me--but maybe I'm missing something.

	Annelise