Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 1999 13:34:56 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        ip@mcc.ac.uk
Cc:        Font <font@couscous.fortdearborn.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu, carlos@gutierrez.com
Subject:   Re: UPDATE: DAT always writes short tapes

Ian Pallfreeman wrote:

> > Here's an update on the DAT tape situation.  To recap, my WangDAT 3400DX
> > DDS-2 drive errors out after dumping about 1.5 Gbytes of data, whether on
> > a 90m or 120m tape.  This is under FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE.
>
> FWIW, I have a similar situation. One box has a Sony SDT-5000, which was
> happily writing 4GB or more with FreeBSD 2.2.8, and which now refuses to
> write more than 1.5GB. Another box has an HP 1533 which continues to write
> 4GB plus.
>
> > Doug White suggested I use -B and/or -b flags to indicate tape length.
>
> Nah, it's something to do with the mode sensing/setting.
>
> > Current:  X3B5/88-185A    variable       61000    DCLZ
>
> The WangDAT (and my Sony) are reporting that they're DDS-1 drives, and are
> refusing to write DDS-2.
>
> > Therefore I surmise that either the WangDAT isn't responding to
> > fairly-standard SCSI commands properly, or it's somehow internally broken
> > for writing.
> >
> > So, while I have more information, I still don't know what to do next to
> > get the WangDAT tape drive to work.  It seems a shame to put it out to
> > pasture just yet.
>
> Can you set the jumpers on the drive to _always_ operate in DDS-2 mode? That
> might be worth trying, if you're not terribly bothered about 60/90m tapes.
> I've been trying to get the jumper settings for my SDT-5000 for weeks, but
> nobody seems to have them. :-(

Sony has information on using their fax-back at
http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/support/storage/faqs/td.html. The web page
implies that they have a document with the jumper information in it.

Kent
--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html