Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 1996 21:02:57 -0500 (CDT)
From:      john@starfire.mn.org
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD questions)
Subject:   PAP/CHAP and pppd

I would like to convert my PPP link to using PAP and/or CHAP for
authentication.  Right now, I have a "login" type dialog in the
"chat" command, but I would like to use the built-in authentication
methods, particularly because I am going to have to configure
some systems soon to connet to servers that do not provide a
login-style connection at all.

The remote system always ends up sending me a TermReq if I haven't
authenticated first.  When I allow chap, I get "Invalid Login"
even though I am using the same password that works in the "chat"
scripts.

I have read and read and re-read the pppd manual page, and I have
check the FAQ's and the handbook, as well (though it is always possible
that I may have missed something).

I will be happy to provide my /etc/ppp/options file, the syslog
debug output, and other documentation to anyone interested in helping
or advising.

Thanks!

BTW, I don't subscribe to this list, so please include me in your