Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 2002 06:27:29 -0800
From:      Marcus Reid <marcus@blazingdot.com>
To:        Simon <simon@optinet.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: network backup

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 03:22:06AM -0500, Simon wrote:

> rsync is nice, but it can't (afaik) compress data being synced on the fly to
> save disk space :-( Is there anything out there which works like rsync and
> can compress on the fly to space disk space? having 100GB of text files
> compressed can save quite a few gigs.

The -z option for rsync will compress for the transfer, but the file will be
decompressed before it is written to the disk (having the same file at both
ends being the point of rsync..)

If the files change a lot and you need to do a lot of incremental backups,
I'd use rsync and just give up the space to store the uncompressed files if
you can.

Otherwise, if the files are generally small or rarely change, you could pipe
the output of dump over ssh and through gzip and into an archive, and then do
incremental dumps the same way. Can be automated nicely if you set up an
authorized keypair so you don't need to enter a password.

Note that I've removed the hackers list from the recipients. This is totally
off-topic for that list.

Marcus