Date:      Thu, 4 Nov 1999 01:05:41 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Good SMP Motherboards

David Scheidt wrote in list.freebsd-smp:
 > On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, Bruce Albrecht wrote:
 > > I'm looking for a good SMP motherboard for $150 or less.  Any
 > > recommendations?  If I want also onboard SCSI, what's a good, cheap MB
 > > run?
 >
 > I like the giga-byte GA-6BXD.

"Me too!"  :)

I had the MSI MS-6120 before, but it had a very bad memory
bandwidth, compared to the GA-6BXD.  Although same chipset,
same DIMMs, same CPUs.  I was surprised that the motherboard
design can make that much of a difference.

I didn't notice it very much in "normal" use (compiling etc.),
but memory-bound applications run much better with the
improved design of the Gigabyte board.  The Seti@home client
runs about 50% faster on it!

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)