Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 10:36:17 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Tarik Alj <aljtarik@cholla.inrs-telecom.uquebec.ca>
Cc:        archie@whistle.com, gregoire@cholla.inrs-telecom.uquebec.ca, "Vitaly V. Belekhov" <vitaly@riss-telecom.ru>, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bridge + VLAN + netgraph

Tarik Alj wrote:

> Hi,
>
>         we are interested in develloping a netgraph
> bridge node following the
> 802.1Q standard; that is a bridge with VLAN support
> and eventually GARP applications support. I have read
> the recent thread about bridging and netgraph,
> and have also read the article on netgraph in daemonnews.
> However it is not very clear if work is being done as to
> devellop a bridge node or if it is scheduled
> for later on. I would also be interested if you
> had any advice or suggestions on
> the matter.
>
>         Sincerely,

Archie will also comment but I may be able to help you too.

There is VLAN support in FreeBSD but it is independent to
the Netgraph framework as it was developed independently by
other people. I have not looked at it closely.
It would be noce if we could consolidate these things under
the single framework.

It would of course be possible to implement VLAN support using
netgraph. There is also a 'backwards ethernet' netgraph node
written by Vitaly V. Belekhov  (CC'd)and
available at www.riss-telecom.ru/~vitaly/
This node may be of some use to you..
The standard 'ethenet' node was recently re-written
and will be checked in soon.

check:
ftp://ftp.whistle.com/pub/archie/misc/NGETHER.patch.2

the changed semantics may be of use to you also.
These supercede changes  at http://home.earthlink.net/~evmax/ng.tar.gz
made by Maksim Yevmenkin <m_evmenkin@yahoo.com>

In -current there is work to make bridging more suitable for
inclusion into netgraph but it is not complete yet.

Archie will have more info..

--
      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org