Date:      Fri, 12 May 2000 08:43:49 -0600 (MDT)
From:      mlduke <mlduke@concentric.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   /dev

I'm running 3.2 and the IBM Ultrawide Direct Acess SCSI HD has come
up with bad blocks on the first sector which renders getting through
the PC boot sequence rather iffy, to say the least--so far luck is
holding.

IBM will ship a new drive when they receive this one, so I've installed
3.2 on a Western Digital IDE drive and now the aim is to get the
/usr/home files from SCSI to IDE--critical stuff is backed up but it
would be nice to have it all.

On the respective drives I've executed, as root and in the /dev directory:
./MAKEDEV wd* and da* respectively after reading the /dev/MAKEDEV file,
and both return:
bad unit for disk in wd0a through wd0h and da0a through da0h respectively.

I've tried mounting all the possibilities and get:
unknown sppecial file or file system

Any clues out there?

In the process of reading through The Complete FreeBSD for help,
nothing yet.

ML Duke