Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 17:52:48 -0700
From:      "Frank Warren" <clovis@home.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Video Card Problem Fixed

For those who wondered why I couldn't get a Creative Labs Graphics Blaster
Riva TNT working, well, it works now.  For the sake of Deja News, what was
the trick?

The answer is that it was not at all clear which Xfree86 servers I had to
install.  It was also not clear that I could kill the server, once it had
roached out after trying and failing, with Ctl-Alt-Bkspace.  So many servers
wouldn't start, much less properly, that I went back and did a careful look
at the install, decided to re-install with ALL the servers, and then went
and chose a card that looked promising -- Creative Labs Graphics Blaster 3D,
in XF86Setup.

It worked. All is well.  In fact nothing was ever wrong except that it was
looking for a server which had to be installed manually.  Even after looking
at the XFree86 site, it was not at all clear as to which server I needed.

The key is - if not sure, install them all.  One could argue that this part
of the install is broken, that is, that it leads one to XFree86Setup, or
XF86Config, without necessarily having the necessary server installed.  In
the case of XF86Config, one ought to know, but not necessarily for
XF86Setup.  It's a small hole, but at least one person (me) has tripped in
it with a more recent card.

Thanks to those who replied.