Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 1998 15:10:03 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Adjusting Per-User Open files Limit

I asked this question some time back but never got an answer.

Assuming that you have a system whose kernel has been configured to
handle a few thousands open files, simultaneously, systewide, how
can you then set the per-user (or per-process) file limit to something
higher than 1024?

I have tried using the `limit' command in C-shell as follows:

	limit openfiles 1025

but all I get is:

	limit: openfiles: Can't set limit

Why?  More to the point, what do I have to do, exactly, in order to raise
this limit?

-- Ron Guilmette, Roseville, California ---------- E-Scrub Technologies, Inc.
-- Deadbolt(tm) Personal E-Mail Filter demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/deadbolt/
-- Wpoison (web harvester poisoning) - demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/wpoison/

    "Ping can be used offensively, and it's shipped with every windows CD"
                                                  -- Steve Atkins