Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 2008 18:41:17 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Peter Ulrich Kruppa <ulrich@pukruppa.net>
Cc:        Steve Bertrand <steve@ibctech.ca>, FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Spam sent to me from my own mail server ?

--------------enig2A1A8CC1416A339F749734CE

Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:
> Steve Bertrand schrieb:
>> Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:

>>> for some time now I keep receiving spam mails from my own (small)=20
>>> mail server, some of them with faked usernames some of them even with=
=20
>>> my own (ulrich@...).

>> The only way to tell for certain is to review the headers of the messa=
ge.

> .br [189.71.66.5] (may be forged))
>         by pukruppa.net (8.14.2/8.14.2) with SMTP id m7RGmXTN038419
>         for <ulrich@pukruppa.net>; Wed, 27 Aug 2008 18:48:34 +0200 (CES=
T)
>         (envelope-from ixd@pukruppa.net)

It's a simple forgery by the spammer.  They just claim to be sending from=
=20
your domain because there are apparently people that run internet connect=
ed=20
mail systems where doing that makes it easier to inject spam... Either=20
that, or the spammers figure they'll get you with the bounce-o-gramme eve=
n=20
if the first delivery doesn't work.

There are a number of measures you can take against such things.  One thi=
ng
that is pretty easy to implement is to set up SPF records in the DNS.  Th=
is
won't stop the spammers attacking you this way, but it does mean that=20
spamassassin will award them lots of spam points and probably reject the =

mail.

If you're using sendmail as your MTA, then look at implementing the=20
following features in your $(hostname).mc:

FEATURE(greet_pause, `5000')dnl ## 5 seconds
FEATURE(block_bad_helo)dnl
FEATURE(badmx)dnl
FEATURE(require_rdns)dnl

These are pretty cheap resource wise and block many of the most egregious=
=20
spammers.  There's a lot more you can do than that in setting up sendmail=
=20
to be spam-resistent -- much more than I can describe in an e-mail like=20
this.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20