Date:      Sun, 18 Oct 1998 17:59:29 +0100 (BST)
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Don't bet on 3.0 release

On Sun, 18 Oct 1998, Dennis wrote:

> -RELEASE implies that its ready for the general public. If its still in
> BETA, which your comments indicate it is, then it should not
> be released. What's the point of doing a release if its not ready?

3.0-RELEASE is not in beta, it is a relase. The idea is that a lot more
people can have a look at it, review it - try it - and see how far FreeBSD
has come... It's not suitable for everyone (and carries warnings to that
effect), and shouldn't be installed on an 'ad-hoc' basis on production
boxes (unless you _really_ know what your doing - and are prepared to
work closely with it - if needs be).

Here we run several 2.2.X boxes for our ISP service... I have few qualms
about moving them through the 2.2.X tree (i.e. I install 2.2.5, I don't
mind upgrading it to 2.2.7 - nor 2.2.8 when it comes out) - I wouldn't
just slap 3.0-RELEASE on it after having read the release notes...

Will you be rushing to install Windows NT 5 on all your production servers
the day it's released next year? - Probably not...

Anyway, I don't want to get into or start any flame wars over this - the
above is my oppinion, it's the way I normally handle new releases of
FreeBSD - it works for me - it's not going to be the way everyone else
does, or want's to do it... I'm quite happy with 3.0-RELEASE being around,
I've already got 2 Linux convertee's already ;-)

Regards,

Karl