Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 09:04:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Browning <brownicm@netunlimited.net>
To:        debris@total.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: instalation

I've got to say I agree with the CDROM route. There seem to
ba an awful lot of folks wanting to do the download. I
would hate to see them turned away from an outstanding
*free* operating system because of problems they could
easily avoid. Spend the cash, get the CDROM's
and *get the Book*. You'll save yourself a lot of grief and
frustration. What frustration you do experience will be
manageable enough that you will actually learn something.

To those who insist that $40 is not free, I can only say,
'What will Bill Gates sell you for $40?' You get more
support from FreeBSD, too.

On 14-Jul-98 Thomas Dean wrote:
> The basic idea of installing FreeBSD is to create a
> special boot
> floppy and let that guide you through the installation.
> Another way
> is to buy a CDROM from www.walnutcreek.com.  This second
> method is
> easier, more reliable, and faster.  I have nothing to do
> with FreeBSD
> or Walnut Creek, other than being a satisfied customer.
>
> If you choose to download, get the 2.2.6 version of
> FreeBSD.  You need
> to download 2 files as BINARY images.  boot.flp and
> fdimage.exe.
> boot.flp is a bit-by-bit image of a floppy.  fdimage.exe
> will write
> this image to a 1.44MB floppy.  Download the two files,
> create the
> floppy, and boot the floppy.  Follow directions.
>
> Now, I strongly suggest that you do some reading before
> you start
> this.  The procedure is well documented.
>
> Look at the handbook at www.freebsd.org/handbook, part 1,
> section 2.
> Take some time to read and understand this.  Next, read
> the tutorial
> at www.freebsd.org/FAQ.  Part 2, questions 2.6, 2.7, and
> 2.8 apply to
> WIN95 and FreeBSD.  Another good reference is the
> multi-os tutorial at
> www.freebsd.org/tutorials.  If you buy the CDROM set from
> Walnut
> Creek, get "The Complete FreeBSD" book.  An excellent
> reference.

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the
> message

Chris Browning

brownicm@netunlimited.net

"If you believe in Nothing...