Date:      Tue, 01 Jan 2002 13:39:30 -0500
From:      Giuseppe Pagnoni <gpagnon@emory.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   how to disable write cache?

Hi

I have erratic problems with a Seagate SCSI driver and browsing through
the lists I came to understand that this might be related to the write
caching turned on or a bad firmware. I was unable to find a new firmware
from the seagate site and I couldn't find a way to turn off write
caching via the SCSI controller setup either(no related options there).
 I found this alternative suggestion on the list:

 >  Run this:
 >
 >     EDITOR="/usr/bin/perl -i -pe 's/1/0/g if /^WCE/'" \
 >    camcontrol modepage da0 -P 3 -m 8
 >
 >  do this for all your drives which have bad firmware.

but... clearly EDITOR is not a command, so i guess i am missing
something here.
Could somebody explain me (in simpler terms)  how can i disable write
caching for my two SCSI disks (da0 and da1) permanently  in FreeBSD 4.4R?

thanks a lot!

      giuseppe