Date:      Thu, 09 Jul 1998 14:05:55 -0400
From:      "Andrew Webster" <awebster@ctalk.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   VeriSign now selling IDs for all versions of Apache!

--------------90376C92D55912A4B5FF48D0

Not strictly related to FreeBSD, but I thought that the ISPs would find this useful!

In Verisign's latest newsletter:

Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 21:21:57 -0700 (PDT)
To: awebster@ctalk.com
From: newsltr@verisign.com
Subject: VeriSign Secure Server News

Dear VeriSign Secure Server ID Holder:

VeriSign provides its Secure Server ID customers with a periodic newsletter
as a free customer benefit. If you do not wish to receive this newsletter in the
future, simply reply with a subject of "unsubscribe."

SECURE SERVER ID - JULY 1998 NEWSLETTER:
1) Securing Multiple Servers Within Your Domain
2) Join the VeriSign Trust Network Associates Program
3) Strong Encryption for Added Security Across or Outside US Borders
4) VeriSign and AICPA Create Seal of Trust
5) Test Your Server's Y2K Performance
6) Register New Web Site Domains Easily with Network Solutions' New
Registration Plus
7) VeriSign Server IDs Now Available to all Apache-based Servers
8) Implement Secure E-mail Within your Organization - Pre-purchase bundles
of Digital IDs

1. Now You Can Issue Your Own Server IDs with One Easy Enrollment

Our new VeriSign OnSite for Secure Server IDs safeguards all the servers
within your domain by allowing you to issue multiple Server IDs with one
easy enrollment.  OnSite can save you time and money and also helps to
coordinate the security of all of your Web servers.  For more information
and enrollment, please visit http://www.verisign.com/serveronsite now.

2. Join the VeriSign Trust Network Associates Program

The VeriSign Trust Network Associates Program allows you to resell
VeriSign Digital ID products on your Web site and make a commission
on all sales you originate.  With Digital IDs, your customers can digitally
sign and encrypt all e-mail messages, increasing their online security and
peace-of-mind.  Plus, you demonstrate to customers your commitment to
security by displaying the Associates Program's VeriSign Digital ID
buttons.  Please visit http://www.verisign.com/associate to learn
more and to sign up today.

3. Strong (128-Bit) Encryption For Added Security Across or Outside
US Borders

Current US export laws restrict the use of "strong" (128-bit) encryption
across or outside US borders. Until recently, the export versions of
Microsoft Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator browsers only allowed
40-bit SSL connections. However, 40 bits isn't secure enough for many
businesses conducting high value financial transactions or sending
sensitive corporate engineering and/or financial data internationally.

VeriSign, in conjunction with Microsoft and Netscape, and in cooperation
with the US Government, has developed a solution to allow certain types of
companies to get 128-bit SSL encryption virtually anywhere in the world.
128-bit encryption is 309,485,009,821,345,000,000,000,000 times stronger
than 40-bit encryption. If you are a bank (located anywhere in the world) or
a US company, please visit http://digitalid.verisign.com/server/global/ to get
more information about strengthening your Web site's security with a
Global Server ID.

4. VeriSign and AICPA Create WebTrust Seal to Build Online Trust

VeriSign and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
have jointly developed the WebTrust Seal program to give online customers an
instant level of trust with Web sites they are visiting.  WebTrust is designed to
assess web sites to ensure that they meet AICPA and CICA-defined criteria for
standard business practices and controls over transaction integrity and information
protection.  Audited sites are given a special AICPA WebTrust Seal to display on
their Web pages along with Certified Accountant's reports on the standards
maintained by the site.

To learn more or enroll for the WebTrust program, please visit
http://www.verisign.com/webtrust today.

5. Test Your Web Server's Y2K Performance

VeriSign recently introduced a program to allow Web sites to obtain free Trial
Server IDs with built-in year 2000 date scenarios.  By obtaining these Trial IDs,
you can assess how the year 2000 will affect your servers and people visiting your
Web site.

Please visit http://digitalid.verisign.com/server/y2k/ to begin testing and to ensure
your Web server's seamless transition to the next millennium.

6. Register New Web Site Domains Easily with Network Solutions' New
Registration Plus

Network Solutions offers enhanced domain name registration
services to help small businesses and individuals establish and build
their identity on the Internet. RegistrationPlus features a simple
five-step process that allows Internet users to search, select and
reserve or register a web addresses in minutes. Additionally, customers
now have access to customer support 24 hours a day.

For more information visit http://www.networksolutions.com or call
1-888-642-9675.

7. VeriSign Server IDs Now Available for all Apache-based Servers

Apache freeware is among the most popular server software packages on
the Internet today.  Until recently, only those sites using commercial
versions of Apache (such as C2Net's Stronghold Product) were able
to obtain VeriSign Secure Server IDs for conducting SSL sessions.  Now,
VeriSign is issuing IDs for all Apache-based servers.  To learn more and
get your free guide to securing an Apache server, please  visit
http://www.verisign.com/guide/apache now.

Or, if you would like to test that this solution works for your implementation of
Apache, please visit https://digitalid.verisign.com/server/trial for a Free Trial
Server ID.

8.  Implement Secure E-mail within your Organization - Pre-purchase
bundles of Digital IDs

With VeriSign's convenient new Digital ID bundles, you can pre-purchase Class
1 Digital IDs in bulk and issue tokens for easy redemption.  By distributing these
tokens to employees, business partners or customers, you can begin to secure all
e-mail messages and implement access control privileges on your corporate intranet
or extranet. Please visit http://www.verisign.com/client/token/ to learn more and to
enroll today.

Thanks again for choosing VeriSign.  We look forward to serving your future
electronic commerce and communication needs.

Sincerely,
VeriSign Digital ID Services