Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 18:27:14 -0400
From:      Jan Knepper <jan@smartsoft.cc>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   CVSupd, CVSup, CVS and WinCVS

Hi,

I've setup a CVSup server (cvsupd) for our company's on each
side of the Atlantic Ocean, i.e. in the USofA and Europe. So far
the cvsupd and cvsup work fine, however, we also would like to
be able to access the CVS repositories from Windows (NT/2000).
I went to http://www.polstra.com/ and learned that there is no
CVSup for Windows.

http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup/faq.html#mswin

47.Has CVSup been ported to Windows 95 or NT?
No, CVSup does not currently work on Windows platforms. It
relies on a number of features which are specific to POSIX-like
operating systems.

Do I understand correctly that there is no server and no client
for Win32?

I also went to http://www.loria.fr/cgi-bin/molli/wilma.cgi/rel
and saw that there is something as a WinCVS as
http://www.wincvs.org/

Since I didn't read it all completely yet I guess I am more
confused that I need to be. ;-)
However, could I run cvsupd and cvs on the same repository? Have
Unix (FreeBSD users of course!) access it using CVSup and
Windows <cough> users use something like WinCVS that accesses
the same repository via a different server?

Well, I guess I am making things terrible difficult here, but if
anyone has an idea or some "GO HERE" or "DO NOT GO THERE"
experience I certainly would like to hear.

Thanks for being a great community!

Don't worry, be Kneppie!
Jan

--