Date:      Sun, 03 Oct 1999 10:32:14 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Barry Irwin <bvi@rucus.ru.ac.za>
Cc:        "Dr. Brain" <drbrain@toxic.magnesium.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Merging mail from two souces

Barry Irwin wrote:

> On Sat 1999-10-02 (13:51), Dr. Brain wrote:
> > I want to merge mail from two different sources, one is downloaded through
> > fetmail via an IMAP server, and the other is an ftp download from a remote
> > FreeBSD machine.  Is there any way I can merge these two together?  As I
> > understand it, fetchmail grabs my mail and dumps it into /var/mail/hodeleri.
> > If I wanted to ftp down the other mail, I would put it in /var/mail/hodeleri
> > this seems to be a bit of a problem though.  RTFM is appreciated, just point
> > me to the right place.
>
> Not too sure about the fetchmail details, but as far as I am aware it uses
> your local MTA to deliver the mail it retrieves.  For your FTP'd Mailbox, aa
> solution would be to use formail.  This can then split your ftp'd mailbox up
> into its constituant messages and pass them onto the appropriate MTA , which
> will then deliver them

	Fetchmail can also be configured to use an mda of your choice, like
procmail. That makes it very handy to merge mail from different sources.
I consolidate mail from several different accounts automatically with a
combo of fetchmail, procmail and a couple of scripts to handle extreme
cases. In your .fetchmailrc file do something like this:

defaults
        proto pop3
        fetchall
        mda "/usr/local/bin/procmail -f-"