Date:      Wed, 9 Mar 2016 15:06:33 -0500
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        =?UTF-8?B?SmVhbi1Tw6liYXN0aWVuIFDDqWRyb24=?= <dumbbell@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: i915 update to Linux 3.8 ready!

On 8 March 2016 at 16:07, Jean-S=C3=A9bastien P=C3=A9dron <dumbbell@freebsd=
.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> The i915 update is now in HEAD as of r296548:
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/svn-src-head/2016-March/083332.html

Thank you very much Jean-S=C3=A9bastien for bringing this to completion!

I've now updated my regular laptops to HEAD after this commit and have
discovered that the power consumption seems to have increased
significantly.

This is on a Thinkpad X220 (Sandy Bridge). It has a r286085 kernel
installed on the disk, and reports 11W while idle at a vt(4) console
without the driver loaded. After loading i915kms.ko but still at the
vt(4) console that increased to 14W.

Booting from a USB stick at r296565 showed 13W initially, rising to
25W after loading i915kms.ko. I'll continue to investigate, but would
like to know what others observe with respect to power consumption on
other laptops.