Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 1997 15:03:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        "Victor A. Sudakov" <vas@vas.tomsk.su>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cannot make suck work

On Sat, 22 Mar 1997, Victor A. Sudakov wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have installed suck from the ports collection of FreeBSD 2.1.6
>
> I created the /usr/local/etc/sucknewsrc file which looks like this
>
> alt.fan.tolkien -1
> rec.arts.books.tolkien -1
> relcom.education -1
> relcom.fido.ru.unix -1
>
> Then I ran the following script:
>
> ---- cut here -------
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> # Download news from news.tomsk.su
>
> suck news.tomsk.su -dt /var/news/in.coming/tmp -dm /var/news/in.coming \
> 	-dd /usr/local/etc/ -br batchfile
>
> ---- cut here -------
>
> When I run this script I get the message that there are no articles on
> news.tomsk.su:
>
> vas# sux
> Official host name: mpeks.tomsk.su
> Alias news.tomsk.su
> Address: 193.124.182.17
> Address: 193.124.185.19
> Connected to mpeks.tomsk.su
> 200 mpeks.tomsk.su InterNetNews NNRP server INN 1.4 22-Dec-93 ready (posting ok)
> .
> 200 mpeks.tomsk.su InterNetNews NNRP server INN 1.4 22-Dec-93 ready (posting ok)
> .
> 0 Articles to download, 0 dupes removed
> Processing History File, experimental version
> Elapsed Time = 0 mins 0.00 seconds
> Processed history, 0 dupes removed
> Total Articles to Download: 0
> No articles.
> Closed connection to mpeks.tomsk.su
> vas#

If you look at the suck.newrc file created by suck, you will see the
updated article numbers (you just specified to set the high message
counters and not fetch any articles). After you've processed the batch of
articles, you need to copy suck.newrc over sucknewsrc so you're ready next
time to fetch only new articles. Remember to only copy the pointers over
if you processed the batch completely.

-Dave