Date:      Sat, 29 Jul 2006 12:04:38 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Thomas_Nystr=F6m?= <thn@saeab.se>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with builtin dhclient in 6.1R

FreeBSD 6.x has changed the dhclient that is bundled with the system.
I have some problems with the new client. When a lease is renewed my
connection to the network is locked up.

I believe that the lockup occurs because of the way the new client
does lease renewal. My ISP only allows ONE computer to connect to
each modem (via the cable-TV-network). The dhclient seems to trigger
this when it sends the DHCPREQUEST to renew the lease with a broadcast.
The only way to get it up and running is to reset the modem (which the
ISP states should be done if you change the computer or network card
on the connection).

I have tried (and compared the behaviour) of the isc-dhclient (from
ports) and it sends the DHCPREQUEST directly to the DHCP-server
without a broadcast. The DHCP-server is not on the same network.
With the isc-dclient everthing works.

I have also compared the code of the two dhclients and found that
the isc-variant have a fallback mechanism and that mechanism is ALWAYS
used when a DHCPREQUEST should be sent directly to a known server.

I also find the following comment in isc's osdep.h:

/* Porting::

    If you add support for sending packets directly out an interface,
    and your support does not do ARP or routing, you must use a fallback
    mechanism to deal with packets that need to be sent to routers.
    Currently, all low-level packet interfaces use BSD sockets as a
    fallback. */

It seems that this has been missed somewhere on the way....

Does anyone else have had the same kind of problem?
Any comments?

/thn

Svensk Aktuell Elektronik AB                     Thomas Nyström
Box 10                                    Phone: +46 8 35 92 85
S-191 21  Sollentuna                        Fax: +46 8 35 92 86
Sweden                                      Email: thn@saeab.se