Date:      Sun, 13 May 2001 14:20:42 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Multiple copies - was Re: rc script seems to be broken for nfs

Dinesh Nair wrote:

> is it only me, or has freebsd-stable been receiving multiple copies of
> this same message over and over again ?
>
> --dinesh

It may be that people mail it multiple times.  If you get a message
from freebsd-stable, and you press the "reply" button the email goes
back to the person who sent it.  So if you want to send the message
to freebsd-stable, typically people press the "reply all" button.
But this goes to freebsd-stable, the person who sent it, and most
everybody else who is on the "To" or "Cc" of that email.  People
like me are often too lazy to edit the list of recipients of the
email.

One way to resolve this could be to change the majordomo settings
of the freebsd mailing lists so that the "Reply-To" field is set
to e.g. freebsd-stable.  One disadvantage of this approach is that
it is then not so easy to reply only to the individual who sends
the email.

Well I have this feeling that people argued vigorously about this
long before I had even heard of FreeBSD, and probably freebsd-stable
is not the appropriate place to discuss this.  But I was just
providing my answer to the above message.

--
Stephen Montgomery-Smith
stephen@math.missouri.edu