Date:      Sat, 11 Oct 2014 03:39:27 +0400 (MSK)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   poudriere: some vague idea for repackaging

Colleagues,

(I cut the subject a bit, it does not describe the idea fully)

There are not too rare situations, where some lower level port/package got
changes, but *does not* change API/ABI and/or list of contents: e.g, fix for
off-by-one in libraries.  In the following, call it "pkg-lower".  I think we
could suppose it is run/lib-dependency, not build-dependency.

Of course, PORTREVISION (in case of a local fix) or PORTVERSION (in
case of a fix from upstream) are changed.

Currently, poudriere would delete all packages dependent on updated pkg-lower.
And, hence, fully rebuild all of them.

>From the subject: vague idea.  Could we install all set of updated dependency
packages, then unpack previously built backage, (if test phase is defined, run
it) and just repack it then? For "Big Builders", we could save *A WHOLE LOT* of
computing resources, I suppose...

Well, the problem would be that we have package with the same version, but
different manifest or other meta-files, hence different chechsums/signatures.
I'm not ready to proclaim the path what we could do to mitigate this.

Any thoughts/comments?

Thanks!

--
Sincerely,