Date:      Wed, 15 May 1996 13:41:17 -0700
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Tom Lehman <toml@mitre.org>, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SoundCard Recomendation for MBONE usage

Hi,

Just for clarification the guspnp driver is the same as
ftp://rah.star-gate.com/pub/snd01041996.tar.gz
except that it has added support to recognize and initialize a GUS PnP.

Also this driver is for FreeBSD-2.1-stable it should not be a big deal
to port over to FreeBSD-2.2 however I am just concentrating on making
sure that it works. Probably in about a week I will port over the GUS PnP
driver to FreeBSD-2.2...

My latest experimental guspnp driver now works on none PnP motherboards
and I will copy it over to my ftp site when I have had a chance to check
out the driver with a GUS Max. I will post on the mailing list when
I get it done.

Local tests using two FreBSD boxes with GUS PnPs seems to be working great
over here. One of the system is a 486DX266 which does not have PnP bios
support  and  my other system has bios PnP support. Bios PnP support
is important because it isolates and configures PnP devices;otherwise,
the OS has to configure the PnP devices which is the case in the guspnp
driver . PnP devices at least the GUS PnP allows further configuration
after a BIOS initialization so in our case with the gus pnp it does
not hurt to initialize the GUS PnP so we may support both none PnP
bios and PnP bios. Last but not least the configuration at the driver
level allows for configuring PnP devices where the BIOS PnP screws up.

	Enjoy,
	Amancio

	Enjoy,
	Amancio