Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 21:45:26 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Sockets and SYSTEM V message queue

Zhihui Zhang writes:

>> If your app is always going to run on a single system, there are
>> better ways to implement it.  Local-domain sockets is one; pipes is
>> another (which may or may not be implemented with local-domain
>> sockets).  SysV message queues could be used as well.  Don't know
>> enough about their limitations to know whether it's a good choice,
>> though.
>>

>Thanks for the reply.  I read some source code.  In it, a server process
>create a single socket to accept packets from both local client processes
>and remote clients processes. This should be bad for performance. Am I
>right?  According to your suggestion, it may be better to create one
>local-domain socket (I will figure how to use it later) for local clients
>and another socket for the remote clients.

This is an accept socket. It's only used to inform the server that a
connection request has arrived from a client. When the server does an
accept a new socket is created for that connection.

I don't want to be unfriendly, but this stuff is all documented in the
man pages. Try reading them before using precious bandwidth on the
lists.

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - garyj@muc.de