Date:      Thu, 02 Oct 1997 20:51:14 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        phk@freebsd.org
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Making world on an SMP system.

Hi

I am a recent convert to the world of SMP. Much of what I do on this
board (a Giga-Byte GA586DX w 2xP5/200) is a _helluva_ lot easier,
now that the load average is a bit more reasonable. (I do real number-
crunching here :-) ).

One thing that I have found to be frought with danger is large makes
and "make -j N" (N an int).

EG: make -j2 world usually falls over in a couple of minutes. It seems
1) either the dependancies are not SMP-friendly, or
2) make is broken.

I suspect 1). Is this a known "thing"? Is anyone working on it? ISTR
that PHK was into massively parallel makes a few years ago (?).

Are you (PHK) still doing stuff there?

Mark Murray