Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 2015 22:26:22 +0300
From:      Vladimir Bogrecov <bogrecov@gmail.com>
To:        python@freebsd.org
Subject:   Python on FreeBSD is slower than on Linux

Hello,

I'm developing a little project on Python 3.5. The server's operating
system is FreeBSD 10.2. Today I decided to do a little test "just for fun"
and the result has confused me. I ran the following code

import random
import time

def test_sort(size):
    sequence = [i for i in range(0, size)]
    random.shuffle(sequence)
    start = time.time()
    ordered_sequence = sorted(sequence)
    print(time.time() - start)

if __name__ == '__main__':
    test_sort(1000000)

on FreeBSD 10.2 x64 and on Debian 8 x64. Both computers was the smallest
(5$ per month) virtual machines on the Digital Ocean (
https://www.digitalocean.com). The average result on the FreeBSD was 1.5
sec, on the Debian 1.0 sec. Both machines was created specially for test
and had not any customization. Could you help me to understand why python
is so slower on FreeBSD and may be there are some steps I can perform to
speed up the python to work not slower than on Debian.

I have found in Google the similar question:
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-python/2012-June/004306.html so
it has an interest not only for me.

P.S. I really like FreeBSD and I would be happy to solve this issue. If you
will have an interest to this issue I can provide SSH access for both
machines :)

Thank You!