Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 10:29:18 -0700
From:      W Gerald Hicks <jhix@mindspring.com>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gimme FreeBSD anyday!

| perhaps a bit more than a simple stereotype, one enforced by
| clueless marketing people at Xilinx, Modelsim, Cadence, WindRiver and
| nearly all the EDA vendors.

> I'm afraid i don't understand.  WHat are the marketers doing wrong?
> Promoting ONLY those OS's for these types of apps?

Yep.  Forcing their customers (against overwhelming customer demand
according to EE Times) to use only Sun or NT.

Note that the engineer using Xilinx Foundation Series beside you really
doesn't have a choice.  He *must* run Windows to use the foremost FPGA
development environment in the world.  I know a lot of designers who
hate Windows but to do their jobs really have no choice.

| A first step toward overcoming this situation would be having a FreeBSD
| native version of FlexLM.  There exists one for Linux but without
| FlexLM there is absolutely *no* hope of ever getting native versions.

> So native FlexLM would have to come first, and then other apps of this
> type would follow?

These companies are typically *very* protective of their revenues.  This
situation is sometimes enforced by their investors.  FlexLM is the
top license management scheme used by the EDA/CAD vendors.  Once they
support a platform all the other LM's will "me-too" right behind them.

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks