Date:      Mon, 13 Feb 1995 11:48:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        ats@g386bsd.first.gmd.de (Andreas Schulz)
Cc:        hasty@netcom.com, FreeBSD-hackers@wcarchive.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: My iozone results

> > >Do you have any more info on your instability problems?  Is it stable
> > Nope, and I am seriously thinking about taking the 2842 back.
> > I think it has problems. Went to DOS to play a little DESCENT,
> > when I booted back to FreeBSD failed to detect my scsi hard drives.
> > I managed to eventually get the scsi drives to be detected by
> > switching the drives on/off. When I have my smc ethernet installed
> > the adapter and my Actix S3 864 have serious problems like the
> > wrong colors show up at boot time. I did manage to boot
> > correctly once when I tried to use my ethernet card I got
> > and instant crash. This happened several times. Now,
> > the story of the 2842 timing during heavy disk drive activities
> > is a different and it could be due to the 2842's device
> > driver. BTW: I did try different to have my ethernet at
> > different maddr.
>
> For me the 2842 works fine, kernel build of Feb 6. I have replaced
> my 1542CF with a 2842A at Dec 21 and no problems seen regarding the 2842.
> But i have seen problems on another local bus motherboard that is
> working ok with a 1542. I tried to replace the 1542 with a 2825 local
> bus controller and the machine simply hangs in the BIOS. Don't know
> if it is the board or the adaptec BIOS :-). The machine is a cyrix 486DX.
> The 2825 board works fine in another motherboard ( EISA/VL ) with an
> intel 486DX.

There are many motherboards that do not properly support VL busmasters.
I'm guessing this is the problem Amancio is having.  I have both a
2742T and a 2842 (non A) in my machine right now, and other than sheer
stupidity in one modification to the driver last week, have never lost
a byte of data with these controllers.

> I have only seen some timeouts with a 2742T controller with the ahc
> driver, but i have not looked into them, because this is on my
> test machine, where i test bad SCSI disks :-). So i need first find

I've heard that this can happen with SCSI-I devices that do not properly
support syncronous negotiation.  If you disable sync negotiation with that
target, it should work.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1