Date:      Wed, 1 Jul 1998 11:26:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov>
To:        "Garcia, Joe D. (WANG)" <jgarcia1@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upcoming version upgrades?

On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, Garcia, Joe D. (WANG) wrote:

> I was told by a person who is a UNIX admin that he was reading that
> freebsd will not be going further than version 4.4 and that I had to
> make a decision on whether I would go with Linux or freebsd, they are
> both excellent operating systems, but the freebsd is alot more stable.

There is a confusion of "BSD"'s here.  The University of California -
Berkeley Computing Systems Research Group (CSRG) produced the Berkeley
Standard Distribution (BSD) UNIX releases in the 1980's and early '90's.
Their final release was 4.4BSD, upon which FreeBSD was based and has
continued development from that point.

FreeBSD development is going strong and will continue as long as people
continue to contribute to it (and, from what I see, the number of
contributors just keeps growing!).

Guy Helmer

Guy Helmer, Graduate Student, Iowa State University Dept. of Computer Science
Research Assistant, Ames Laboratory       ---         ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer