Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 2014 13:00:35 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        brittman914@gmail.com
Cc:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 10.1 PPC64 on XServe G5 hangs at Openfirmware Loader [USB stick booting a PowerMac G5]

I'm not sure which stage(s) you are after: Produce a usb memstick or =
just booting it after you have it. Also this is/was for a PowerMac G5 =
("quad"), not for a XServe. (I've never had my hands on an XServe.)

A) Producing the memstick...

Given the variety of possibilities for producing the stick, =
possibilities not limited to using the Powermac/XServer context, I'll =
just report for that: =
https://www.freebsd.org/releases/10.1R/announce.html lists for unix-like =
contexts something similar to...

sudo dd =
if=3DFreeBSD-10.1-STABLE-powerpc-powerpc64-20141207-r275566-memstick.img =
\
	    of=3D/dev/<APPROPRIATE-NAME> bs=3D10240 conv=3Dsync

where you need to figure out the <APPROPRIATE-NAME> based on the context =
you are working in and you might use a different .img file. (I used =
Modern Mac OS X to produce mine.) You might not need sudo but I did. You =
would first need to dismount any existing, already-mounted file systems =
from that stick (if any). The above puts down everything in the proper =
formats, including the partitioning: a very low level complete =
overwrite. Typos in <APPROPRIATE-NAME> can be a disaster: be careful.

B) Booting from the memstick...

Booting into openfirmware (using command-option-O-F) with the updated =
stick already plugged in the front automatically bound ud: to the stick =
appropriately. (No other USB sticks plugged in so it was the only USB =
disk.) The openfirmware command

dir ud:2,\ppc

(I think it was) would list the bootinfo.txt file that I reference below =
if ud: was bound automatically. (The 2 picks out the slice/partition to =
find the ppc folder/directory in.)

At the prompt I then used:

boot ud:2,\ppc\bootinfo.txt

=3D=3D=3D