Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 14:31:03 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Yong Lim <yong@csfi.com>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD Newbies'" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 05:29:38PM -0500, Yong Lim wrote:

> Any way on to my question:  I also installed XFree 3 with rxvt and
> Window Maker.  If I login to the system using any other users beside
> root with rxvt my backspace function properly. But if I su to root or
> login as root the backspace no long work inside of rxvt.

Rxvt can understand the X resources of XTerm, too.  Try writing in a
file in your $HOME directory the following:

	XTerm*backspacekey: ^H

Let's assume that you named the file ~/.Xdefaults for a while.  Then you
can use, while you're in X11, the command:

	% xrdb -load ~/.Xdefaults

See if things are working properly for you then, and if not, try setting
XTerm*backspacekey to ^? instead of ^H.  One of the two ought to work :)

To have the command xrdb executed to load this resource file every time
you start X11, you can add the xrdb -load command in your ~/.xinitrc
file (if it's not already in there).  If you find out that you don't
have an ~/.xinitrc file, then you can copy the system default from
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc to .xinitrc in your $HOME, and edit the
file to suit your taste and/or style.

- Giorgos Keramidas