Date:      Fri, 20 Jan 2012 14:43:55 +0100
From:      Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
To:        Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle

On 1/20/12 2:38 PM, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
>   Damien,
>
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:09:55AM +0100, Damien Fleuriot wrote:
> D> I'm having an increasingly difficult time defending FreeBSD in our
> D> company against the advances of debian kfree which is much easier to
> D> maintain.
> D> Can we get back to the 4.x release style and, hopefully, see some 9.7,
> D> 9.8... ?
> D>
> D> Check this PR I opened some months ago:
> D> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=161123&cat=kern
> D>
> D> It was planned for 9.0-RELEASE, there is no mention of 8.x
> D> That's just the kind of problem John raises here.
> D>
> D> I can't keep on defending FreeBSD when the minor fix to a major bug
> D> isn't backported, and only makes it to the next major version, 4 or 5
> D> months from now.
>
> Hey, what's the problem here? Fix for kern/161123 has been committed to
> stable/8!
>
> You reminded me, and I promptly did merge, w/o any argument, albeit I have
> no ability to test it properly on stable/8. I trust you, that you have tested
> in on stable/8, but if anything breaks, guess who would be blamed: me or you?

Don't be mistaken, I greatly appreciate the work you put into this and
the time you devoted to fixing this issue which was *a real annoyance*
in our case.

I'm not saying you didn't merge it Gleb, I'm saying for a loooooooong
time I had to manually patch the 8.2-RELEASE boxes, because for some
reason that I don't know/understand, the patch couldn't (and still
hasn't been, I guess) be merged with 8.2-RELEASE.

Actually, on topic, what prevents patches from being merged with
-RELEASE, as opposed to waiting for a new -RELEASE bump ?

Regarding the patch, we've been running it since I submitted it on over
20 firewalls and they're all humming happily.