Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2023 21:54:33 +0100
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@riseup.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I am sick and tired of the poor quality of documentation on FreeBSD

On Tue, 2023-11-21 at 20:51 +0100, iio7@tutanota.com wrote:
> Take a look at have it's done on Arch Linux!

Hi,

Arch Linux and iPadOS are my everyday operating systems. The bootloader
documentation is not as clear-cut as you think, even under Arch Linux.

Before I bought a new mobo, I ensured that it provides legacy boot.

I migrated from an old Intel processor with integrated GPU to a new mobo
with a new Intel processor with an integrated GPU.

Each time I chose legacy boot it was ignored. The reason for this is,
that the integrated GPU does enforce efi boot. When the Intel processor
was new, it was documented exactly somewhere hidden in nowhere.

The enforced migration from legacy boot to efi boot has resulted in a
whole chain of incompatibilities, so I decided to migrate from syslinux
to grub 2 and after that I still needed to use kernel parameters, for
Arch Linux e.g. ibt=3Doff, for Alpine Linux e.g. modules=3Dext4 ... the
freakish kernel parameters where found with some help from the
communities.

IMO "you might need to update the boot code" is quite straight forward.
You need to rewrite the bootloader, how depends on the used bootloader,
legacy vs efi boot and probably a few other pitfalls.

Boot processes are a can of worms!

When I set up a Windows 11 VM I needed to BypassTPMCheck,
BypassSecureBootCheck and I don't remember what else, by hidden
Microsoft Windows 11 registry features.

Keep in mind that almost all hardware is not aimed for BSD or Linux.

I didn't run into a bootloader issue when migrating from one iPad to
another iPad ;).

A bootloader documentation covering all corner cases is hard to archive,
if nor impossible at all.

If I where you, I would take a look at "gptzfsboot(8) and loader.efi(8)
for details" and if needed ask for help.

Regards,
Ralf