Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 09:07:07 -0600
From:      Timothy Kettering <timster@blackcore.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Java <java@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Incorrect timestamps with native 1.3.1 jdk?

> Just read the sources of java.util.Date / java.util.TimeZone, and you'll
> see as i did how much date and timezones handling sucks in the java
> standard library.

    Yeah, I was warned by many senior java developers that the Date/TimeZone
stuff was pretty treacherous and not to even speak the name of
GregorianCalendar!

    I've made some fixes in my code that ensure that the proper timezone is
set before the program does it calculations.

    However, when I did the devlopment of this application on my
workstation, which is Mac OS X, the JVM had no problem with the dates,
picked up the correct timezone that my system was set to, and worked just
fine.  It was only when I migrated the application over to the freeBSD
server that the timezone issue reared its ugly head.

    So I guess what I'm asking is why the JVM on OS X would be able to pick
up the timezone information from the system without any problem, but not the
freeBSD JVM?  And the companion question - should it be done?

--
Tim Kettering
http://www.blackcore.com